Friday, August 8, 2008

"A Wonderful Surprise"

Today has been a great day! It started off with a little pain and a lot of sleepiness. However, I got a great surprise today.

Masud and his wife, Sharmin, and their son, Maheeb (4) showed up at my hotel room to surprise me. Masud had just been discharged from the hospital. It's only been 3 days since the transplant. It's absolutely amazing that he's doing so well. I don't think he was kicked out of the hospital. I think he was really ready to leave.

This entire experience has been one miracle after another. I'm amazed every single day. Masud was originally supposed to be on at least 20 medications to prevent rejection after the surgery. He left the hospital today with only 2 anti-rejection medications. They doctors said that they were simply amazed by what a perfect match we were. They told us that we were a better match than most siblings. That's why they think he's healing so fast.

While they were visiting me, Sharmin grabbed my hands and said, "Melissa, you have no idea what you've done. Saying thank you is just not enough. I don't know what else I can do. You have truly saved his life and changed our lives forever."

I tried to tell her that it was ok, but I kept tearing up. I never did this for any kind of thanks or attention. I simply wanted to give those children their father back. God answered all of our prayers and is now answering with an astounding "YES"!

I will keep everyone updated. Until then, please continue to pray for Masud that he will not reject the kidney.

With love,
Melissa"

2 comments:

adegiulio said...

Melissa, I'm sure you've heard this a million times already, but you rule. I know what you are feeling, and it doesn't go away. Unlike the pain of surgery, the sheer joy seemingly gets stronger every day.

I truly enjoyed reading your story. If you are in the mood, jump on over to giveakidney.blogspot.com.

Good luck on a continued speedy recovery.

Melissa Swanson said...

Oh, so you've donated also?
I'm going to go read your blog right now. Thank you for sharing it with me. I love to read about other's experiences.
Yes, I've been told that I'm a hero, an angel, etc. However, I don't feel that I'm any of that. I just did what I was called to do.