Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Kidney Donation Update"

Hey everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been discharged from the hospital and am back at my hotel room. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Scottsdale, AZ. It's only been about 34 hours since the surgery. I was up out of the bed 30 minutes after coming out of the recovery room. Those of you that know me know that I'm pretty stubborn. I'm having some pain, but it's a small price to pay. Honestly, I'm doing great!
Masud Khondoker (the kidney recipient) is also doing great! The doctors said that when they removed my left kidney, it was one of the largest, healthiest ones they'd ever seen. As soon as they put the kidney in Masud, he started producing large amounts of urine. By the time he got to his room, he already looked 100% better than before surgery. His skin had gotten very dark and blotchy b/c of the toxins in his blood. Now his skin is back to normal. Almost all of his kidney tests are completely normal.
I've also passed all of my tests. The only restrictions I have are to not play any contact sports ever (no problem with that) and don't take Ibuprofen if possible. I can live with that. Of course, I can't lift anything for a couple of months.
Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm ok, he's ok, and I'm already "back to work" from my hotel room. Thank you for all your prayers!
Melissa Swanson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you're both doing so well. I have been following the story for a month or so. You are such a kind hearted person for doing this. I know his family loves you. What made you decide to do this for a stranger?

Melissa Swanson said...

Thank you! The first thing that got me thinking about donating to a stranger was when there was a bone marrow registry drive for Ethan Powell, a local baby that had leukemia. I signed up for the registry. It was just eating at me that I never was called to help someone. So, I started searching the internet for other kinds of donation. That's when I came across kidney donation. So, Ethan inspired me.
I also had a friend in college that needed one around that same time. He and I were not compatible blood types, so I decided to go back to the internet to try to help someone else. That's when I came across LivingDonorsOnline.org.